Ethics and Story
Barka means “blessing” in Arabic and at Barka Store we count our blessings one by one:
- The gorgeous age-old tradition of Tunisian silver jewelry making out of which our work evolved.
- The community of boundlessly creative silversmith that we’ve had the good fortune to collaborate with over the years.
- The continual gift of inspiration and artistic ambition that has sustained our efforts day-in and day out.
- The mastery and skill it takes to fashion handmade crafts using the most rigorous jewelry-making techniques.
- And the list goes on..
- Maintaining a standard of excellence that carries on the tradition of Tunisian silver handwork in its very best form.
- Growing our community and helping new generations of silver artisans develop.
- Nurturing our gifts so that we can provide our clients with a silver work that is never anything less than exceptional.
The history of Barka begins more than 30 years ago in the bustling dusty Tunis suburb of Ariana with three brothers and a jewelry shop.Then a second jewelry shop, and a third.And,soon enough,five.
It also begins with passion. The passion of Salem Bouzid, one of the Bouzid Jeweler Brothers. His mother had pawned her own jewels to put him through medical school, and he never forgot it. He has always been committed to making the same level of sacrifice in providing for his own family.
A man of his word, the company founder is completely invested in his trade. He has progressed prodigiously in the world of Tunisian silver- and goldsmiths and has woven strong relationships with some of the country’s best artisans…
Monia Bouzid: The Mathematician
But early on Salem’s path crossed that of a kind and patient woman who would also become integral to the development of the Barka Store.
A woman with a gift for numbers who would discover a passion for silver working, Monia learned the jewelry trade on the job. She works closely with clients and manages a diverse team of artisans and experts in the arts of filigree, namli, and amber.
For over a decade, Monia has endeavored to develop the Barka brand and protect the heritage of traditional Tunisian jewelry.
Silver was always the precious metal most abundantly available to the villagers of Tunisia’s rural regions who have long rejected its economic function, preferring to make of it a medium for artistic expression, a surface on which to etch the whims and dreams of their free-spirited lives. We’re proud of this tradition, which is why we’ve committed ourselves to carrying its torch, especially since many of the traditional processes for working silver are in danger of being lost. Part of our task is to preserve and enrich the techniques of our ancestors, and pass them on to future generations.
Today we have six stores in and around Tunis and a sprawling team of highly skilled artisans that include silversmiths, engravers, chasers, spinners, jewelers, designers, and more. We specialize in silver and are committed to spreading the work of Tunisia’s most experienced artisans around the world.